Saturday, December 18, 2010

advent - day 18

One of the most amazing experiences I've had was the time I spent aboard the MV Doulos, one of the OM Ships, which is part of Operation Mobilization, which we prayed for previously. (Doulos was decommissioned last year and is currently under renovations to be opened as a convention center, but will not sail anymore. If you want to know more about Doulos, check out the Doulos Phos Facebook page. This post is really about OM Ships.) The current OM Ship is called Logos Hope. The motto of OM Ships is "bringing knowledge, help, and hope." The knowledge is in the form of the books they carry and sell. The help is typically relief work. And the hope, of course, is the Gospel.

During my time on board, I taught English classes, represented the United States/Texas/the "Old West"/cowboys, spoke in churches ranging in membership from about 20 to several thousand, preached on street corners, acted in skits for school children, became a clown and a face painter, and had many other adventures in missions. I also worked 5 days a week on the ship. I had one day off each week, during which I explored the world as much as possible. I believe most OM Ships missionaries have similar experiences.

OM Ships' prayer page is here: http://www.omships.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142&Itemid=335&lang=en

No comments:

Post a Comment