Wednesday, October 6, 2010

a day in my unemployment

You know, apart from the whole no paycheck thing, being unemployed is pretty awesome.

We went ahead and paid for this whole month of daycare. That way, I have someone to watch Nate while I look for jobs and go on interviews. This is what my day looks like today:

We slept in until 6:30. Rodgers got up with Nate while I pretended to be sleeping for 30 more minutes. We took our time getting dressed and left around 8. We dropped Nate off at daycare, then Rodgers and I went for a brisk 3 mile walk. I think he likes me being unemployed because we can exercise together in the mornings. We averaged 10 minutes per mile, which is my goal, but I never make it that fast when I have Nate in the stroller. Then, we came home and took showers. Since we have a meeting at church tonight, we decided to go ahead and do our MasterLife study together this morning. While we were doing that, Rodgers got a voicemail, which he saved until we were done.

He has an interview on Friday. I'm not sure I want him to get the job, though. I don't know how he feels. It is slightly better pay than his current job (less per hour, but more hours) and might have insurance. After he returned the phone call, I went with him for a drive-by to see where the office is. Then we went to the Post Office to get international postage stamps.

When we got home, it was time for early lunch, then Rodgers left for work. I washed and dried a load of laundry (haven't folded and put away, but they are laid out neatly on the living room chair) and started a second load in the washer. I applied for two jobs. One is an entry level design job that I don't really want, but at least it's something. The other is a marketing and communications job that requires some design experience. It might be a good job for me. Then, I went to get Nate from daycare.

He fell asleep in the car, so I put him to bed when we got home, and he's still sleeping. I put the second load of clothes in the dryer and mixed up a batch of cookies, which have just finished baking. They're going in the freezer tonight.

Last year, since I was increasingly more pregnant as the holidays approached, I decided to do my holiday baking early and freeze it. I really liked the way that worked out, so I'm doing it again this year. The only recipe I'm repeating from last year is blueberry cheesecake bars. The others weren't worth repeating when I have hundreds of cookie recipes to choose from. Last week, I made some chocolate oatmeal cookies, which are ok, but not great. Today, I made something like double double super chocolate chocolate chip cookies. I'll call them DDSC^4. (That's not the real name.) They aren't cool enough to taste test, but the dough was quite yummy deliciousness. Next on the list to bake is some kind of yummy stuff that has a graham cracker crust and melted chocolate and peanut butter chips and drizzled chocolate on top. I am now realizing that everything on the list is chocolate, with the exception of the blueberry cheesecake bars.

So, now to fold and put away laundry and wait for Nate to wake up so we can play.

obligatory cute baby picture

No comments:

Post a Comment