Tuesday, March 31, 2009

our first date as husband and wife

We went on a dress-up date Saturday. Most of our dates have been either (a) chill on the couch and watch 3 movies back to back to back, (b) go hiking, (c) grab some Sonic and hang out in a city park, (d) find a new recipe and cook together. I can remember 2 previous dress-up dates. A dress-up date means I wear a dress and Rodgers wears slacks. Once, I wore an orange dress and we went to Red Lobster. I got snow crab legs and Rod was extremely amused to watch me crack them open and eat them. The other was Valentine's Day 2008. I wore my black dress, and we went to a Mediterranean or Italian restaurant in Ft. Worth. It was a Thursday, but Rod didn't have class Friday so he drove up to spend the evening with me. I took off work the next day so we could make it a weekend trip. But, back to Saturday...

Last week was our first week of real world after the wedding. Two or three days, my allergies were pretty bad, so I took Benadryl as soon as I got home from work and was 90% brain dead. Rodgers had a lot of homework to do, being the week after Spring Break. So, we were in the apartment together for several hours, and had some quality time together, but I felt like we should go out and have some fun!

At our shower in Arlington, our hostesses provided a pad of paper for people to write marriage advice on. There were still hundreds of sheets left on the pad, so they gave us the blank pad of paper. It's very cute. We keep it on the bar and write notes to each other. When I got home from work Friday, it was my turn to leave a note, so I suggested that we go on a date, a "real" date, a dress-up date. Rodgers thought it was a great idea.

We had to go to Camp Tejas Saturday afternoon, but we got home in time to clean up, put on our pretty clothes (I wore a black knit dress with my patent leather teal wedges and Rodgers wore black slacks and his giraffe shirt, which I adore), and go out on the town. Well, we went to the mall. Apparently it was prom weekend. The place was crawling with teenagers in tuxes and formal gowns. We look so young, we may have appeared to be underdressed prom-goers.

Rod suggested that we go to this restaurant in the mall called The Cotton Patch, which we had never been to. I was so glad that he had a specific suggestion! He usually likes for me to decide. It was a great choice. We split blackened tilapia with a half order of bayou shrimp and a side of fresh steamed broccoli (my very favorite veggie), with spinach artichoke dip for appetizer. (We almost always split a meal at restaurants, unless it's somewhere that we know we want leftovers from!)

Then, we went to a movie! We saw Last House on the Left. All I knew about it was that it was based on the original of that title, by Wes Craven, which I had never seen. It wasn't scary like I thought it would be, but it was quite horrifying. Fortunately, the bad guys get what's coming to them, in a big way, and the good guys win. I'm curious to see the orginal now...

Anyway, it was a great night, and we looked soooo gooood. We should have taken pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment