Friday, April 24, 2009

annoying

Has the word "pop" been banned from our language already? It should be, but not all instances of the word. I'm thinking of a specific usage.

Someone wants a particular element to be eye-catching, to stand out more than the other elements in a spread, webpage, wall hanging arrangement, landscape, outfit, etc. Rather than saying that x should be the focal point or any of a number of other ways to describe the effect that they want, they say that they want it to "pop." OR, someone says that it's good to wear an outfit in neutral colors with bright shoes, handbag, or belt, for a "pop" of color. I could scream every time I hear this.

There's another thing that drives me crazy. With online forums, blogs, and social media, too many ignorant people are able to broadcast their thoughts to the public. I may not agree with their thoughts, but that's not the problem. The problem is: they seem to have abandoned that very basic element of expression in our culture, which is language. I can admit that I don't have perfect grammar and have never won a spelling bee. But, seriously, I just read a product review that said the item "go's" with everything.

I spent the past 20 minutes trying to say something about that. But, well, it speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment