Saturday, January 30, 2010

all by ourselves

When we were released from the hospital, I was under strict orders to take it very, very easy for the first 2 weeks because I had more healing to do than average. Mom had been planning to stay with us for "a while" after Nate was born, so she stayed for 2 weeks to make sure that I'd be able to take it very, very easy. She went home this morning. Now, we're all alone.

Rodgers just went out to pick up Nate's birth announcements, which we'll send to aunts and uncles and grandparents. He also offered to pick up Chik-fil-a for lunch. Mmmm...my favorite! Nate's napping in his crib right now, which he usually doesn't like much. He sleeps well in his crib or Pack n Play at night, but during the day wants to be held for his naps. But today, he's sound asleep in the crib. Here I am, all alone, for the first time in over 2 weeks.

Nate's umbilical cord stump fell off Thursday. I wanted to give him a real bath Friday, but we were at the Dr for his 2 week check up all morning and were lazy all afternoon...He got his first real bath this morning. It wasn't nearly as bad as bathing him without being able to put him in the water. Still, he didn't like it. Here's a great picture of him giving me the evil eye:



We've gotten some glimpses of how cute his smile will be. He has spontaneous smiles in his sleep. It melts my heart every time. I adore his smile. Yesterday morning, when I sat down to feed him before going to the Dr, he looked me right in the eye and just grinned at me for several seconds. Mom was there, and she agreed it was a real smile. We oohed and ahed over it. Gradually, it faded, but then he gave us another little smile. Then, that one faded, and he decided no more messing around: it's time to eat! Later, he smiled some more while laying in his favorite spot: the changing table. I hung a picture of a lion over it and 2 monkeys are hanging from the ceiling. He loves watching all three of them. He sort of groans/grunts at them, and yesterday, he smiled at them, too.

My baby's already growing up.

2 weeks old: 10 lbs 1 oz, 22" long

No comments:

Post a Comment