Tuesday, October 27, 2009

watch your weight!

My OB is a weight nazi.
 
At my 22 week appointment, I had gained 10 lbs in 5 weeks. That is a bit more than "recommended," but not an outrageous amount, in my opinion. Dr told me that I really shouldn't be gaining so fast, so we need to try to slow that down. Well, I eat healthy, but hadn't been getting any exercise at all. So maybe there were some things I could do to slow that down.
 
At my 27 week appointment, I had gained 7 lbs more. Still a little over the recommended gain, and the Dr reiterated that I should not be gaining so much so fast. I calculated that, were I to keep gaining at that rate, I'd gain a total of 45 lbs, rather than the 30-40 lbs recommended for my starting BMI. That's only 5 lbs more. What's 5 lbs? Anyway, the Dr told me she wanted me to gain a half pound per week from here on out. Yeah right! I had started getting a little exercise, and decided to just continue eating and exercising as I was.
 
So, today, at my 30 week appointment, the Dr was out of town, so I saw the nurse practitioner/midwife. It had only been 3 weeks, so I should have gained 1.5 lbs, according to the Dr. I gained 4.0. The NP/MW didn't have a problem with it, even though it says "Watch her weight" in my chart. She just asked if I'd gained weight, checked the sticker I got from the weight/blood pressure station and said, "Good!"
 
Four lbs in 3 weeks is about the same rate as 7 lbs in 5 weeks (1.33 lbs per week versus 1.4). So I'm gaining at the same rate. Dr says it's too much, NP/MW says it's good. Therefore, I can only conclude that the Dr is a weight nazi.
 
The fun part is that she gave me instructions to do fetal movement counts. During a 2 hour period every day (any 2 hour period that Nate's active) I should be able to count 10 movements. I counted 20+ movements as I was sitting at a red light on my way to work after the appointment. That was easy. :)
 
And, I now have my 32, 34, 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40 week appointments scheduled. Scheduling that 40 week appointment was a bit scary. It's on the calendar now. It's really coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment