Monday, February 25, 2008

aciphex

I was watching TV today, minding my own business, when suddenly an unexpected commercial had me, and Trey and Amy who were also there, rolling with laughter.

The commercial was for a drug for acid reflux. A drug I haven't heard of before today. Honestly, I don't know what pharmaceutical companies are thinking when they name their drugs. If only I thought the name of the drug sounded funny, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. But we were all laughing, and all thinking of the same thing when we heard the name of the drug. It's called AcipHex. I suppose the name comes from 'acid' and 'pH'. But it's just a wrong way to pair the words. You may not notice it right now, but say the word out loud, as many times as possible in 45 seconds, because that's how they do it in the commercial. AcipHex. AcipHex. AcipHex.

Maybe you don't think it's funny. Are you sure you're pronouncing it correctly? Man, I should do an audio blog. The joke would be so much better in audio. Ok, this might help - the name of the drug is pronounced "ass-effects." How can you take a drug seriously when it's called ass-effects? Who would name a drug that? Do they not think about how the word sounds when they make it up? Ass-effects... [giggling]

1 comment:

  1. hmm...funny 'AcipHex'!
    I think you can name it better Rachel.....!

    ReplyDelete