Friday, March 14, 2014

8 scriptures to pray over our marriage

Five years ago today, we got married in the rain.

I love praying Scripture. As an introvert, I don't always have words to say, even in prayer. I do pray my own words, but many times, especially with specific requests, I have found verses in the Bible that express what I am praying, and I use them as a starting point for my prayers. What better starting point than the Bible? It's not just for introverts, either!



2004 - friendship (P.S. he's not really that short)

If you look through my Bible, you will see verses marked with notes describing what occasion or for which person I want to pray a specific verse. I have many marked to pray over Rodgers, Nate, and Ben. I have many more marked for prayer for my own sanctification.

I have none marked to pray over my marriage. Zero. It's not intentional - I just never thought about it until today. As we begin our 6th year, my project is to find verses to pray over our marriage.

2007 - this was about halfway through our dating relationship,
at the beginning of the LDR (long distance relationship)
after the XLDR (extremely long distance relationship)

Of the verses I have marked in my Bible for praying over Rodgers and the boys, I chose 8 to pray regularly for the boys and 8 for Rodgers. This is 1 for each day of the week, plus 1 that I am praying for them for the entire year (or longer). To follow my pattern, I need 8 scripture prayers for marriage.

2009 - married!

It may be cliche, but for my ongoing verse(s), I am praying 1 Corinthians 13. My prayer is that, as we love each other, we will be patient and kind. We won't be rude to each other. We will not insist on our own way... There are so many good points in there to pray for us. I probably won't pray through the whole chapter every day, but rather, I will take a few points from it each day.

2013

For the 7 days of the week, I will pray that:
  • we will speak to each other graciously.
    Colossians 4:6   Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
  • we will forgive each other.
    Colossians 3:12-14   Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
  • we will be quick to hear each other and slow to speak, slow to anger.
    James 1:19-20   Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
  • we will confess when we have sinned against each other and will faithfully pray for each other.
    James 5:16   Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
  • we will not repay evil for evil but bless each other.
    1 Peter 3:8-9   Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.
  • we will love and respect each other.
    Ephesians 5:33   However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
  • God will complete the good work he has begun in us.
    Philippians 1:4-6   I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment