Saturday, December 1, 2012

advent day 1

Two years ago, I did a series of advent posts, and I really enjoyed it. Last year, I did nothing, but I'm bringing it back this year!

Our advent calendar. You can see some of my items don't quite fit into the pockets, but we work with what we've got. 

We have an advent calendar this year! Well, technically, we had it last year, but it was lost and not yet put together 100%. So this will be our first year using it. In 2010, I posted mission organization prayer requests for each day of advent. This year, I am working to create an advent tradition for our family. We have the calendar. We have 25 small ornaments - one to take out each day leading up to Christmas. What we need is a scripture reading to go with each one. So this year's advent posts will be my family's scripture readings from our advent calendar. Toddlers have really short attention spans (when they listen at all!) so these will be short readings.

Isaiah 9:2
The people who walked in darkness 
   have seen a great light; 
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
   on them has light shone.

Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

John 8:12
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  

Nate pointing to the number 1 pocket, holding the star he found in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment