Tuesday, March 25, 2008

pictures of Easter weekend

There are now pictures from the weekend on my Picasa web album, which you can access via the link on the left (oops, originally I said it was on the right. Guess I don't know my directions. With the other template I was using before this one, the link was on the right). I will include some highlights here.

Friday, Rodgers and I went to San Antonio. I had visited the old Spanish Missions as a kid, but I wanted to go back and see them, and Rodgers and I wanted to spend a day doing something fun together, so that's what we did!

There are 5 missions: Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Acuna, Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo, Mission San Francisco de Espada, Mission San Juan Capitrano, and Mission San Antonio de Valero (which is better known as The Alamo). We went to 4 of them, excluding The Alamo since Rodgers has been there, and I've been there a g'jillion times.

So we got to SA around 11:30 or so in the morning, and started at Mission Concepcion. I took 6 pictures there and then my camera told me the memory was full! Ludicrous! I never leave pictures on my card, and I only took 6, there's no way 6 pictures filled up 512 MB. Then I remembered that I had the card in the card reader here on Akira and might not have remembered to return it to the camera. I opened the flap, and sure enough, no card!

Rodgers and I at Mission Concepcion

So we continued to Mission San Jose, where I took one blurry picture with my phone camera. And then we had lunch.

After lunch, we went to WalMart, where I bought another SD card. Then, we headed down south to Mission Espada. The Convento at Espada is still occupied. The church is also still used, but the churches at all the old missions are still used. Being that it was Good Friday, there were quite a lot of people in the churches.

Mission Espada. You can see the Convento on the left.

Then we went to Mission San Juan. The missions all have walls surrounding a large area. The walls include living quarters, which is where the Indian converts lived. There was a lot of open area for herds and workshops. At San Juan, there is a cross in the open space. Being San Antonio, the cross is surrounded by prickly pear cacti.

A guy taking a picture of the cross at Mission San Juan.

After the Missions, we went downtown. As we were trying to find a place to park, which was no easy task, the car was overheating. About the time that we pulled into a parking lot, there was smoke coming out from under the hood and the sweet smell of burning coolant filled the air. We parked, leaving trails of coolant as we went. Then we realized neither of us had any cash at all. After pleading with the lot staff, we got to run to the nearest ATM to get money. Then we tried to figure out what part of downtown we were in and where we should walk to. We were just across the street from La Villita, which is a cute little shopping area. We sat in a cafe sipping Coke and Diet Coke, and then went down to the Riverwalk. We found ourselves at the Rivercenter Mall, and Rodgers remembered a flag store there and wanted to get a Kenya flag for his car. I also got stickers of the flags of the 8 countries I visited during my time on Doulos. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I'll think of something.

I wanted to have dinner at a Mexican restaurant. We started walking back towards the car, and then I realized it was dinner time, so we checked the map to see where the restaurant I had picked out was. Turns out it was on the other side of the mall, which we had just come from. My feet were too tired to walk all the way back passed the mall. But we were near Casa Rio, so we thought we'd eat there. When we got there, they were not taking any more names for tables because it was more than an hour wait. So we went to the next restaurant, which just happened to be The Republic of Texas. They told us it would be a 35 minute wait, if we would take the first available table, and it would of course be longer if we wanted to sit outside on the Riverwalk. We went for first available and were seated in less than 15 minutes.

After eating, we put some water in the car, and headed back to Brenham. It was almost dark when we left, so it wasn't too hot, although I think most of that water evaporated by the time we got back to Brenham.

Saturday was Claire and Matt's moving day, so we helped them get their stuff into their new apartment. I looked at a car that I decided not to buy. And we cooked some delicious steak for dinner, which we had with Rodgers' Brenham mom and one of her granddaughters.

Sunday we went to church and had lunch with my family. Then we went back to Brenham and took pictures in a field of bluebonnets.

Then it was time for me to return to Fort Worth. Sad to leave, but it was a great weekend. It's good to be home, though. I can get enough sleep here. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment